COVID-19 - As Ontario reopens, learn about public health and workplace safety measures. Learn about the COVID-19 vaccination and service disruptions.

Apply for Financial Assistance

Starting April 1 at 9 a.m., registration for ProKids will be managed by the YMCA of Niagara. For more information and to register, visit ProKids - YMCA of Niagara.

Child care subsidy is financial assistance that covers all or part of the cost of child care for children up to 12 years of age in licensed programs. The amount of subsidy is based on income level and confirmation of the reason for care. Learn more about child care subsidy.

Applications for financial help are processed on a first come, first served basis.

We provide financial help to eligible families to assist with the costs of:

  • Licensed child care
  • Seasonal camps
  • Sports and culture programs (ProKids)
  • Resource consultants to support healthy child development
  • Behaviour consultant supports

Apply for financial assistance

Calculate your Subsidy

Estimate how much it will cost your family for child care.

More Information

  • Application requirements

    Apply if your family:

    • Lives in Niagara
    • Has each parent / guardian either employed, in school or training; or if you or your child has a recognized need
    • Participates in an employment or training activity through Ontario Works
    • Has filed your most recent income tax return
  • How to apply

    Applying does not confirm your eligibility for financial help. During an interview, an income test will determine your eligibility. If eligible, we will develop a placement plan for your child's care.

    After you apply online, you will:

    • Receive a reference number as confirmation. Use this when contacting us and submitting documents.
    • Be contacted by staff within two business days of application to discuss registration, reason for service and next steps
    • If eligible, be required to submit your current Notice of Assessment, and Canada Child Benefit for the most current tax year

    Required documents can be attached at the end of the application, dropped off, mailed or faxed to Children's Services. Documents include current Notice of Assessment, Canada Child Benefit, employment verification letter or request for service.

  • Eligibility meeting

    The meeting will be one hour, so make sure you give yourself enough time. If applicable, both applicants must attend.

    The caseworker will review policies, procedures and your responsibilities.

    Items to bring:

    Special needs

    If you're not employed or in school, but you or your child has a documented special need, we must have a Request for Service form from your doctor, child care centre or other professional who has ongoing involvement with your family.

    Ask the professional to complete the Request for Service form. Parents cannot self-refer to these services.


    If you're self-employed, you must complete a Declaration of Self-Employment and bring: 

    • An income and expense statement (T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities) that you provided to the Canada Revenue Agency
    • Your most recent income tax return; or if you've just started a new business, complete Projected Statement of Business or Professional Activities

    If you're incorporated, you must bring: 

    • Corporate Tax Return
    • Personal Income Tax Return (T1)
    • Recent T4 and paystub
  • Your responsibilities while receiving subsidy

    Once receiving child care subsidy, you're responsible to:

    • Renew your Child Care Subsidy Agreement every year with your Children's Services caseworker
    • Respond to all communication about your child care
    • Ensure your child attends the program every day they are scheduled. Contact the child care program if your child is ill and unable to attend. Contact the Children's Services caseworker if your child is ill for three days or more
    • Inform your Children's Services caseworker of any changes to your work or school situation, living arrangements, address and contact information
    • Give at least two weeks notice to the child care program and Children's Services caseworker before withdrawing your child(ren) from care. This is important to avoid costs being charged that cannot be covered by subsidy
    • Ensure that you contact your Children's Services caseworker before registering your child in any program or switching your child to a new program

    Details of all responsibilities are in your Parental Agreement and Roles and Responsibilities received at the eligibility meeting. 

Page Feedback Did you find what you were looking for today?