Job Posting #18866
Program Financial Specialist - GO Implementation Office
Approximate Duration: 60 months / 5 years
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Manager, Program Financial Support, the Program Financial Specialist is responsible for providing program specific financial support in the areas of budget, reporting, and procurement to Departmental and Divisional management teams and Project Managers in the GO Implementation Office .
- Post-secondary degree from a recognized university in accounting or finance.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, procurement and/or
process review preferable within the Ontario Municipal Financial context.
- 5 years financial analyst experience in developing and working with financial models.
- Experience with Public Sector Accounting (PSA) and not-for-profit accounting standards preferred.
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA).
- Knowledge of external regulations, such as the Municipal Act, the CICA/PSAB Handbook, and all other regulations impacting the accounting and reporting of municipalities.
- Completion of the municipal accounting and finance program preferred.
- Audit designation preferred.
1. Provides consultation and integrated financial services, ensuring required financial supports are in place for business partners to achieve their business goals and objectives.
- Ensures departmental procedures are in place and monitored for compliance with general accepted accounting principles and corporate directives.
- Recommends and executes policy, process, and procedure improvements to enhance operations of respective departments, working with finance process and policy owners to understand needs and provide expert advice, and developing communication strategies to ensure department staff are informed.
- Participates in new department initiatives (new systems, new business initiatives, rate setting, etc., ensuring financial and measurement systems integration.
- Acts as first point of contact for program management and project managers for day-to-day issues with financial implications.
- Works with finance consultants to execute and implement business case recommendations, ensuring alignment with budgets, reporting, accounting and procurement.
2. Provides financial and budget analytical support, working with departmental program/project managers.
- Completes monthly and/or quarterly variance analysis.
- Builds models to help program/project managers provide forecast projections of revenues and expenses.
- Coordinates the annual budgeting process (operating and capital), building models and providing guidance on required assumptions to assist in the preparation of budgets of revenues and expenses.
3. Prepares program specific external reporting, liaising with program specific agencies as needed.
- Undertakes financial audits to ensure all financial policies (corporate and departmental) are observed including contract awards, reporting and filing of financial information.
- Works with department management in the development of internal financial reports required to manage their business on an on-going basis.
- Works with the corporate reporting function, coordinating and preparing required program specific external reports.
- Coordinates and liaises with both external and internal auditors on an as required or annual basis for all audit procedures.
- Coordinates, prepares and submits external funding documents to the respective agencies in accordance with agreements, liaising with program specific agencies as needed to clarify and provide information.
4. Provide functional direction and guidance on day-to-day procurement matters, including providing by-law & procedural guidance to department program/project managers and staff.
- Identifies gaps in corporate procurement resources and training program, liaising with Procurement to ensure updates are implemented and communicated in a timely manner.
- Liaises and informs Procurement on known complex, non-routine, procurement matters as required.
5. Identifies opportunities for process improvements.
- Investigates and leads process improvements, economies of scale, etc. that provide financial benefit to the department and taxpayer, conducting analyses and recommending actions to be taken.
- Researches issues/best practices and develops recommendations to be applied in both financial reporting and business processes.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs