Job Posting #18603
Our careers site will be temporarily unavailable on June 24 from noon to June 25 at noon due to system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Geographic Information System (GIS) Student or Intern - Water & Wastewater
Approximate Duration: 5 months
The Niagara Region has an 5 month temporary, full-time paid GIS Student (degree/diploma in progress) or Intern (recent graduate) position available, within the Water & Wastewater Division of the Public Works Department.
This is an excellent opportunity for students or recent graduates of a GIS, Environmental, or similar program to gain valuable work experience.
The GIS Student/Intern supporting Water & Wastewater Engineering as well as Infrastructure Planning & Asset Management assists the Data Integration Technician in the maintenance of the GIS and Engineering Drawing Management Database (DMD). Duties include creation, conversion and maintenance of water and sewer network information.
This position will address gaps/errors in existing datasets used by various groups within Water/Wastewater, and the work is done in an office setting.
Educational & Availability
- Completion of an Ontario high school diploma (OSSD, SSGD, SSHGD, GED or provincial/national high school equivalency)
- Must meet ONE of the following post-secondary requirements:
- Students: Currently enrolled in a related post-secondary field of study (including co-op), OR,
- Interns: Successfully completed a related post-secondary degree/diploma program within the last 12 months (or will successfully complete prior to starting this position)
- Must be able to start full-time work in August 2017, and continue to work full-time for approximately 5 months
Other Competencies or Skills Required
- Knowledge and experience working with GIS software, preferably ArcGIS
- Experience with map production
- Experience with data collection methods
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and other similar technical documents
- Knowledge of municipal infrastructure (water wastewater and/or transportation)
- Strong communication skills - written and oral
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills &ndash Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and others
- Excellent analytical skills
- A valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle to travel to various work sites would be an asset, but is not required
- Must provide proof of successful completion of a Ontario high school diploma (OSSD, SSGD, SSHGD, GED or provincial/national high school equivalency)
- Must provide proof of enrollment in or graduation from a related field of study
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Must be available to start full-time work in August 2017
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs