Job Posting #17729
Director Legal & Court Services
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Commissioner Corporate Services, the Director Legal and Court Services is responsible for ensuring the highest standard in the delivery of legal and court services to the corporation.
The position also requires direct performance of legal services including litigation, real estate, development of agreements, interpretation, drafting and implementation of by-laws policies and procedures and risk management services.
1. Provides leadership and direction in the management and administration of Legal Services operations as follows Ensures that professional legal services are provided to the Corporation and all its constituent elements related to the business of the Regional Corporation, including Council, Council Committees, CAO, CLT, Regional Departments, staff committees, and individual staff members. Leads the management of and provides professional legal services. Directly and through the Legal Services team members, provides legal services support in broad traditional areas of law including: municipal, real estate, planning and land development law, environmental law, civil litigation, commercial law, labour and employment law, estates law, administrative law, and construction law, and in areas of law specifically relevant to the Region including: procurement law, governance, development charges, freedom of information and protection of privacy, long-term care facilities, social assistance, retail business holidays, and public health law. Directly and through the Legal Services team members is responsible for by-law, policy and procedure development and implementation, risk management, insurance, and insurance related claims.
Provides leadership and direction in the management and administration of Court Services operations as follows Responsible with the Court Services team members for the operations of the Provincial Offence Courts including the administration, prosecution and collections responsibilities. Directly and through the Court Services team members ensures court services activities are compliance with the Provincial Offences Act, including processing and prosecuting charges, collecting fines, enforcement of unpaid fines, scheduling court trials and customer service and issue resolution. Represents the Region on the Joint Board of Management.
Ensures that contentious matters such as alleged impropriety or misconduct are brought to Commissioner’s attention, the Joint Board of Management and/or the Attorney General of Ontario (as required under the Memorandum of Understanding).
2. Develops and manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring services continue to support needs and initiatives are implemented and managed.
- Participates in administrative matters for the Region, such as staff committees and task forces.
- Provides oversight of the Prosecution team in an indirect reporting relationship.
- Participates in senior leadership team of the Corporate Services Department.
- Directly and through the Legal Services team members, selects and retains outside lawyers, overseeing work, liaising between outside lawyers and the Region and appraising performance.
3. Accountable for medium to long range people resource planning for the division, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
- Working through their leadership team, enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- Oversees employee performance, career development, and succession planning activities, ensuring open and transparent metrics and processes are developed and implemented and opportunities are created to facilitate employee growth and development.
- Ensures focus is service excellence, effective communication between leaders and employees, transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff is connected to corporate priorities and direction and has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other Divisions and Departments
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, maintained and integrated into all aspects of planning and decision-making within the operating unit.
- Ensures the competency and performance of the Internal Responsibility System within their department, as outlined in the Niagara Region’s Health and Safety Policy is achieved and maintained
4. Develops, manages and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the division, ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies. Authorize, and Administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures.
5. Directly and through the Legal and Court Services team members, proactively looking for opportunities to improve the way in which Legal and Court Services operates. Continuous improving of service while at the same time improving quality assurance efficiency and cost effectiveness by streamlining processes and reducing resource utilization.
- Significant experience managing a legal practice, including real estate, litigation, and general practice areas.
- Minimum of 10 years progressive senior management experience within a unionized environment.
- At least 1 year experience in insurance, risk and claims management.
- Membership in Good Standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Post-secondary degree in Law.
- May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure as the Risk Management Officer, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs